Is it just me who’s completely sick of Winter? I love Winter, but this year, there’s only been so much that I can tolerate! I want it to be Spring, I want to be warm and most of all, I want to start getting excited for this Summer’s plans! I thought what better way to shift the winter blues, than with a zest, light and fluffy lemon cupcake? I pretty much bake lemon cakes all through the spring and summer, whether it be a lemon drizzle, a lemon pie and even lemon cupcakes! There’s no better smell than the smell of cake and lemon sifting through your house – It’s simply heavenly!
This recipe is super simple, so don’t worry if you’re no baking maverick, I try to keep it simple yet simply delicious when it comes to baking – If you can do simple well than you’re achieving something! We all love a good fool proof recipe don’t we?
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
FOR THE CAKE..
- 125g of Self Raising Flour
- 125g Caster Sugar
- 125g of Unsalted butter (soft)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons of milk
- 1/4 Teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Free Range Eggs
- The Juice of 1 Fresh Lemon (small lemon)
- The Zest of a Full Lemon
- 200g of Unsalted Butter (soft)
- 1 Teaspoon of Milk
- 300 – 400g of Icing sugar (depending on the consistency you prefer)
- The Juice & Zest of one full lemon
- Extra Lemon Zest to Decorate
- Firstly, begin by preheating your oven to gas mark 6, so that the oven is nice and hot for when your cake mix is ready!
- Line a cupcake tray with your cupcake cases!
- Sift in the flour, and then add the rest of the dry ingredients to your mixing bowl, so the sugar and baking powder!
- Next add your wet ingredients (butter, milk and eggs) Then squeeze in the juice of your fresh lemon, ensuring that no lemon seeds get into the mixture! Then grate in the lemon zest into the mixture!
- Mix your mixture together on a medium speed until it’s smooth and thick and all the ingredients are nicely combined! You want to mix it for at least 2 minutes to ensure that enough air has entered the mixture, just so that they’re nice and fluffy!
- Evenly spoon the mixture into the cupcakes cases, I usually fill them about 3/4 full, as you don’t want them to rise too much and overflow!
- Bake your cakes in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, depending on weather your oven is fan assisted or not! If you’re unsure simply lightly press your finger onto the top of the cake, if it’s bouncy then it’s done!
- Leave the cakes to cool – You don’t want to ice them whilst they’re hot, otherwise complete disaster!
- Now onto the icing! Start by putting all of the soft unsalted butter into your mixing bowl, beat the butter for around 3 minutes on a high speed, until it’s fluffy and noticeably lighter in colour
- Gradually add your icing sugar to the mixture, mixing on a medium speed – The key to good icing, is the mixing process, you need to mix it until it’s light and pale in colour
- Add a the milk and the lemon juice and zest and continue to mix until you reached the required light and smooth texture!
- To pipe your cupcakes, pop the frosting into an icing bag, i used a medium circled icing tip, as I wanted the icing to look like a perfect blob on the top, obviously you can use what ever icing tip you like!
- Once iced, grate some lemon zest onto the top of the cupcakes for a bit of decoration!
I hope you enjoyed todays post! Happy baking!