BLOGMAS – Day 9 – Christmas Baking : Pecan and Maple Cupcakes
What possible screams ‘CHRISTMAS’ more than baking some festive treats and listening to a bit of Bing Crosby in the process? You can’t think of anything, can you?
Personally, I’m not a massive fan of christmas cake and christmas pudding so baking cupcakes that are considered somewhat festive can be difficult. This year I decided to bake Maple and Pecan cupcakes, although Maple is a traditionally autumnal ingredient, what the heck, Maple Syrup is the tears of angels, therefore completely relevant.
What you will need:
– 2 Medium Eggs (Preferably free range)
– 125g of softened butter (Unsalted)
– 125g of Brown Sugar
– 225g of Self Raising flour
– 2tsp of Maple Syrup
– A Small bag of pecan nuts (I mixed mine with almonds, but this is optional)
– A mixing bowl
– Festive decorations
– Whisk or electric whisk
1) Start off by preheating the oven to gas mark 4, or 180c and line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake cases – My snowflake cupcakes cases are from ASDA, as I thought it would make them look a litre more festive
2) Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, butter, eggs and maple syrup. Then bind the ingredients together until thick and smooth with an electric mixer, you can use a hand whisk, however the mixture is quite thick so it may take some time.
3) Add the mixture into the cupcake cases and place the tray into the oven for about 15-20 minutes. A tip for knowing when they’re ready is if you put a skewer into the centre of the cake and it comes out clean.
4) Time to make the icing! I just made a classic vanilla buttercream, as I didn’t want the cake to be to heavy with maple syrup, as it’s quite sickly. To make the buttercream I just combined 400g of icing sugar with 200g of butter and then added the vanilla extract as I mixed the ingredients together.
5) You can decorate the cakes however you like, I crushed a handful of pecans and almonds in a food bag and sprinkled them over the top, I then added some holly leaf cake decorations from ASDA and my cakes where complete!